Tonight is the first of the summer potluck picnics. Joe’s class is having a hot dog barbecue and the parents are bringing side dishes. With an international group of families there is always a terrific showing of dishes at these gatherings, so I decided to liven up an American classic with my version of coleslaw.
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 green onions
- 3 carrots
- 1-1/4 c. mayonaise
- the juice of 1-1/2 lemons
- 1 2″ piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 navel oranges, cut into chunks
- 1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 c. raisins
- 3/4 c. slivered almonds, toasted
Slice cabbage, celery and green onions very thin and grate the carrots. Mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, ginger, sugar and salt, then combine everything together. Serve very cold.