In my quest for the perfect scone recipe I stumbled across this one for Aunt Annie’s old fashioned scones. These are the perfect scones. I’m going to make up some dough with fresh blueberries tonight, so we can enjoy these tomorrow on the 4th of July.
Aunt Annie’s Old Fashioned Scones
1. Mix together with a whisk:
- 1-3/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
2. Cut in:
- 1/3 c. cold butter, with fingertips or pastry cutter
3. Stir in:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. milk (or half and half if you’re fancy free)
4. Fold in:
- 1/3 c. dried cherries
- 1/3 c. walnuts
5. Knead 10 strokes. Form into 8″ circle, sprinkle with sugar and wrap in wax paper. Fridge overnight (or skip this if you didn’t plan ahead—don’t worry they’ll still be pretty good).
6. Cut into wedges, bake on parchment or a greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 16-18 mins. or until golden.
Separate and cool.
Options to fold in:
- 1/2 c. blueberries
- 1/3 c. pecans, orange peel
- 1/3 c. choc chips, orange peel
- 1/3 c. cranberries, 1/3 c. nuts
- 1 Tbs. poppy seed, lemon peel
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar